The Silicon Valley Kids Triathlon is an event owned by the Silicon Valley Triathlon Club and produced by Threshold Racing Inc. to introduce the sport of Triathlon to kids. This event promotes a fun and healthy way for kids to have a feeling of accomplishment and encourage self-esteem. The Silicon Valley Kids Triathlon also provides the event's sponsors with the opportunity to be recognized as organizations that are committed to the youth of our community by encouraging sports and a healthy lifestyle.
In 2000, the first Silicon Valley Kids Triathlon was held with 215 boys and girls participating, ranging in ages from 3 yrs to 15 yrs. In 2001 the event grew to accommodate 315 participants. By 2002 we grew to accommodate 490 participants and each year we've continued to expand, with over 800 kids participating in 2008, 900+ in 2009/2010 and a target of 1000 children in 2011! This year will be our 12th Anniversary. We have become the largest youth triathlon in the country.
In 2000 and 2001, the SVKT was held at West Valley College in Saratoga, California. In 2002, the SVKT moved to De Anza College in Cupertino, California. The 2011 triathlon will once again be held at De Anza College.
Making an Impact
With the support of Silicon Valley Triathlon Club members, the Silicon Valley Kid's Triathlon has improved thousands of lives.
- Over 6000 youth have participated in this nationally recognized, community outreach event
- A charitable contribution to Silicon Valley Children's Fund of almost $100,000 has resulted in the implementation of educational initiatives supporting over 1200 Bay Area Foster Youth, improving life outcomes of our community's abused and neglected children. Click here to read just a few of their stories of triumph
The guiding principle of the Silicon Valley Kid's Triathlon is two-fold.
- To introduce the sport of triathlon to young people in our community in a safe environment; distances are short and intended simply to expose our youngest triathletes to the basic elements of triathlon and to counteract the negative effects of too much television and electronic activity and encourage young boys and girls, ages 4–15, to lead a healthy lifestyle and enjoy the benefits of outdoor activities (i.e., swimming, cycling and running).
- Kids helping kids. With a charitable contribution of almost $100,000 to our youth charity, Silicon Valley Children’s Fund, we have a unique opportunity to raise awareness and encourage young people to give back to their community. Silicon Valley Children’s Fund, changing life outcomes for abused and neglected foster youth through educational initiatives.
You call email us at RaceDirector@SVKidsTri.org or call us at (888) 552-0723.
Kids Helping Kids
Check-out this video produced by the SVCF Foster Youth Scholars.
Silicon Valley Children's Fund
The Silicon Valley Kids Triathlon raises money for the Silicon Valley Children's Fund, a non-profit organization that benefits foster children here in Silicon Valley.
The Silicon Valley Children's Fund invests in the development and expansion of high impact programs and practices that improve educational and life outcomes for foster youth in the Silicon Valley and beyond.
The Children's Fund collaborates with educational institutions, community-based organizations, and public agencies to build their institutional capacity and deliver services that transform our youth into successful and self-sustaining adults.
Silicon Valley Children's Fund was founded 20 years ago by a group of committed community leaders with the support of dedicated Santa Clara County officials as a public benefit (501 (c) (3) nonprofit) corporation.
Having initially raised $14 million to build the home-like Children's Shelter that opened in 1995,the Children's Fund continues to work as a catalyst and respected partner with public and private organizations to address the unfulfilled needs of foster youth.
For more information about SVCF, please see the Silicon Valley Children's Fund website.
Silicon Valley Triathlon Club
The Silicon Valley Kids Triathlon is hosted by the Silicon Valley Triathlon Club, the South Bay's premier triathlon and multisport club. Joining SVTC is a great way for local active adults to have a fun, competitive, and healthy lifestyle through the sport of Triathlon. Club members receive copious club benefits such as:
- Many weekly workouts that benfit triathletes of all abilities from beginner to seasoned veteran
- Generous discounts from our many club sponsors.
- Social time to meet other like minded, fun, and athletic people